Karnataka transport unions call off bus strike after HC directive
Transport unions have accused the Karnataka government of taking unilateral decisions on wage revision.
PTI
-
The withdrawal came after Karnataka HC heard a PIL and instructed the unions not to proceed with it (AI)
Bengaluru, 19 May
Transport unions in Karnataka withdrew their proposed
statewide strike on 20 May after the Karnataka High Court directed them not to
disrupt public bus services and instead resolve their demands through
discussions with the government.
The withdrawal of the strike came after the High Court heard
a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) and instructed the unions not to proceed
with the agitation, citing inconvenience to the public.
Union leaders, however, accused the government of taking
unilateral decisions on wage revision and failing to hold consultations with
workers before issuing orders.
“In accordance with the High Court’s order, we have
withdrawn the strike. We respect the High Court’s order and will abide by it.
We had already informed the government in advance about the strike. Government
bus services will not be shut down tomorrow,” convener Jayadevaraje Urs told
reporters in Bengaluru.
The HC directed that the strike should not be carried out
under any circumstances and advised unions to resolve their grievances through
talks with the government. Following the order, transport workers’ representatives
announced that the agitation scheduled for Tuesday had been called off.
Addressing a press conference, union leader Vijay Bhaskar
said workers had the right to protest but alleged that the government was
attempting to suppress the agitation. “You have taken a unilateral decision.
You ignored our request and concerns,” he said, expressing anger over the
manner in which the wage revision order was issued.
Union representatives said the government had announced a12.5 per cent wage hike without consulting the Joint Action Committee and had
failed to convene meetings with either the Chief Minister or the Transport
Minister despite repeated requests.
“The right belongs to all workers. Whenever we exercise that
right, the administration and governments use various tools to suppress it,” a
union representative said.
He alleged that the unions had sought discussions with the
government after the wage revision order was issued, but no opportunity was
provided for negotiations.
“Had they arranged a meeting with us at the Chief Minister’s
level, we would have presented our demands before him. We would have pressured
and persuaded him to increase this 12.5 per cent hike,” he said.
The unions are demanding that the wage hike be increased to
more than 15 per cent and that the revised pay is implemented retrospectively
from 1 January, 2024.
The union leader said the High Court’s intervention had now
opened the door for negotiations.
“Now the High Court has given us an opportunity. We will
fully utilise this opportunity to discuss our demands with the Chief Minister —
to increase the 12.5 per cent basic salary hike to more than 15 per cent, and
to restore the effective date to January 1, 2024,” he said.
Another union representative urged the government to convene
talks without delay. “Today, the High Court has directed the government that
the Chief Minister or the Transport Minister should organise a meeting in
Bengaluru to discuss our demands and resolve them appropriately,” he said.
He added that nearly 28 months had already passed withoutresolution of the workers’ demands and called upon the government to hold
discussions with the Joint Action Committee at the earliest.
“As for tomorrow’s strike, we have withdrawn it. That is
all,” he said.
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *




