https://salarnews.in/public/uploads/images/advertisment/1756994003_header_Screenshot 2025-09-04 182836.png

Chemists strike: Over 20,000 medical stores in Karnataka to be shut on 20 May

Over 15 lakh chemists and druggists across India will keep their medical stores shut on Wednesday.

PTI

https://salarnews.in/public/uploads/images/newsimages/maannewsimage19052026_230321_Strike.png
  • Chemists complain that e-pharmacies' discounts undercut small time retailers (AI)

Bengaluru, 19 May

 

More than 20,000 chemists across Karnataka will join a nationwide 24-hour shutdown on 20 May, called by the AIOCD, in protest against e-pharmacies and alleged regulatory violations.

 

According to the All India Organisation of Chemists and Druggists (AIOCD), over 15 lakh chemists and druggists across the country will keep their medical stores shut on Wednesday to protest against illegal onlinesale of medicines and "unprofessional competition" by corporate firms.

 

Speaking to reporters here, Karnataka Chemists and Druggists Association (KCDA) president R Raghunatha Reddy said that in Karnataka, nearly 20,000 chemists, including around 6,500 retailers in Bengaluru, are expected to shut down shutters.

 

He said the strike had become unavoidable due to repeated violations of the Drugs and Cosmetics Act by online pharmacies.

 

"The sale through online pharmacies is not permissible under the Act. We also have High Court orders, but they are not being followed," Reddy said.

 

He alleged that e-pharmacies were offering discounts, disrupting the regulated margin structure of 16-20 per cent, and undercutting small retailers.

 

"They are giving 25, 30, even 40 per cent discounts, which is severely affecting small chemists and their livelihood," he said, adding that over four to five crore people are dependent on the retail pharmacy sector.

 

Reddy also warned that the agitation could be intensified if the government fails to act. "If this is not resolved, we will extend the bandh further," he said.

 

The association claimed it had already informed customers in advance and appealed for cooperation, saying the sector had supported the public during the Covid-19 pandemic.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *