Over 130 dead as Congo battles rare Ebola variant with no treatment
This Bundibugyo virus, a rare variant of Ebola, has no approved medicines or vaccines.
PTI
-
The head of the WHO team in Congo said authorities haven't identified “patient zero” yet (WHO)
Kinshasa, 19 May
The World Health Organisation director-general openly
worried Tuesday over the “scale and speed” of an outbreak of a rare Ebola
variant in eastern Congo, where authorities reported a sharp increase in
suspected deaths to at least 131 and over 500 suspected cases.
The virus spread undetected for weeks after the first known
death as authorities tested for a more common strain and came up negative,
health experts and aid workers said. This Bundibugyo virus, a rare variant, has
no approved medicines or vaccines.
Congo's health minister, Samuel Roger Kamba, said
investigations were underway to determine whether the deaths and 513 suspected
cases were "actually linked to the disease.”
WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said he is
“deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic," adding the
UN health agency will convene its emergency committee later Tuesday. He pointed
to the emergence of cases in urban areas, the deaths of healthcare workers and
significant population movement.
Patient zero has not
yet been confirmed
The WHO has declared the Ebola outbreak a public health
emergency of international concern, requiring a coordinated response. Resources
were being rushed to the two affected provinces near the border with Uganda,
which has reported one death in a person who travelled from Congo.
The head of the WHO team in Congo said authorities haven't
identified “patient zero” in the outbreak.
Dr Anne Ancia also said the Erbevo vaccine, used against a
different Ebola strain, was among those being considered for possible use. But
even if that or another is approved, it would take two months to become
available.
Inside Congo, cases have been confirmed in the capital of Ituri province, Bunia; North Kivu's rebel-held capital, Goma; and the localities of Mongbwalu, Nyakunde and Butembo — home to well over a million people in all.
Dr Peter Stafford, an American doctor, is among the Bunia
cases, said the Christian organisation he works for, Serge. He had been
treating patients at a hospital. Three other Serge employees were working
there, including Stafford's wife, but were not showing symptoms.
False negative Ebola tests delayed the response
“That caused the Ebola outbreak to escalate,” said Kamba,
the health minister.
When another person fell ill on 26 April, samples were sent
to Congo's capital, Kinshasa, for testing, according to the Africa Centres for
Disease Control. Bunia is more than 1,000 kilometres (620 miles) away in a
country with some of the world's worst infrastructure.
Samples from Bunia were initially tested for the more common
type of Ebola, Zaire, Congolese officials said. They came back negative, said
Dr Richard Kitenge, the health ministry incident manager for Ebola, and local
authorities assumed it was not the virus.
Only laboratories in Kinshasa and Goma, which are now
controlled by the M23 rebel group, have the capacity to test for the Bundibugyo
virus. It was not clear what measures the Rwanda-backed rebels were taking in
the outbreak.
On 5 May, the WHO was alerted to about 50 deaths inMongbwalu, including four health workers. The first confirmation of Ebola came
on 14 May.
“Our surveillance system didn't work,” said Jean-Jaques
Muyembe, a virologist at the National Institute of Bio-Medical Research.
“The Bunia laboratory ... should have continued searching
and sent the samples to the national laboratory. Something went wrong there.
That's why we ended up in this catastrophic situation," he said, and
asserted that members of parliament and senators were aware "there were
deaths, and nothing was being said.”
This is a rare type
of Ebola
“Ebola is very much a disease of compassion in that it
impacts the people who are more likely to be taking care of sick folks,” said
Dr Craig Spencer, an associate professor at the Brown University School of
Public Health who survived Ebola more than a decade ago after contracting it in
Guinea.
The US CDC says it causes fever, headache, muscle pain,
weakness, diarrhoea, vomiting, stomach pain and unexplained bleeding or
bruising. The severity of the symptoms and the rising caseload were fueling
growing panic in Bunia neighbourhoods.
“I know the consequences of Ebola, I know what it's like,”
said resident Noëla Lumo. She previously lived in Beni, a region hit by former
outbreaks. When she heard about the latest one, she began making protective
masks by hand.
The region already
grapples with a humanitarian crisis
Eastern Congo has long grappled with a humanitarian crisis and the threat of armed groups that have killed dozens and displaced thousands in Ituri in the past year. Ituri already had over 273,000 displaced people out of a population of 1.9 million, according to the UN.
UN staff have been asked to work from home and avoid
physical contact and crowded areas, said a Bunia-based UN official, who spoke
on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to speak publicly on
the subject.
The most important challenge is breaking the virus
transmission chain, Muyembe said.
“Of the 17 epidemics we have experienced in (Congo), 15 were
brought under control simply by applying public health measures,” he said. “The
disease is transmitted through contact with bodily fluids. If you avoid this
contact, you break the chain of transmission, and the epidemic stops.”
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *




